Cocoa butter filtration, why filtration is needed in cocoa?
Cocoa butter still contains varying amounts of solids
- Depending on pressing
- Due to mesh size in press
- Due to (often) broken mesh elements in press
- => cacao butter content 0.2 – 1 %, normally 0.5 %
Cacao butter has to be clear to meet the quality requirements. Cacao butter filtration was one of the first Cricketfilter® applications in 1988.
Our Cricketfilter® is well suised for filtration of cacao butter
- No precoat allowed and needed
- Direct filtration over filter cloth
In existing factories the Cricketfilter® mostly has replaced filter presses.
The Cricketfilter® offers the following advantages over a filter press:
- Fully closed filtration system
- No personnel needed for permanent monitoring and discharge
- Fully automated discharge instead of long cleaning times
- No filter aid needed and no product lost
Cricketfilter® vs. separator: Further treatment needed after separator
The basic filtration cycles in cocoa butter filtration are:
- Thickening filtration of cacao butter
- Partial emptying
- Slurry discharge
Mayor cacao and chocolate producers worldwide prefer Cricketfilter®.